I saw this on a friend’s Facebook feed today and I was immediately inspired. I’m actually sitting at work writing this post because it spoke to me so much.
Today, for about the 100th time, I was asked by a senior leader “How do you all do it?” What he was referencing was me being active duty, Z being active duty and currently deployed, having 3 young kids, and being pregnant with our 4th. I laughed it off and he pushed, he wanted an answer, as did the 3 other senior leaders I was standing with. I told them we just do it (thank you Nike). It’s what we’ve always known and we don’t have a choice. We have to be great at our jobs both as parents, a couple, and officers in the military. That didn’t seem to pacify them. Here were three men, each having a minimum of 15 years in the military, wanting to know the secret recipe to having a successful family and career.
So here’s the secret recipe that I gave and it can be applied to everything in life.
1. We know that God has a plan and as long as we do our best it will come to pass. He also doesn’t give us anything we can’t handle.
2. We love deeply. We love ourselves, each other, our kids, our lives. Important note: Love and like are not the same thing 😁
3. We accept everything we are given graciously even if it’s not what we had in mind. This is not always easy and at times, well most times, it takes a while to get the graciously part.
4. We will never sacrifice our family. “BUT Z is missing the birth of your child” they said. True, but Z has to deploy at sometime, he’s going to miss stuff. He also has to deploy to upgrade and to move bases. If he turned down this deployment that timeline would have been delayed and there is a high chance we would be stationed apart in the future because he couldn’t move with us. A small sacrifice to avoid a larger one. We also have done a lot to still incorporate Z intot he family even though he’s not physically with us.
5. We knew it wasn’t going to be easy and we don’t dwell on the hard. Are we in a constant state of survival mode? Some days yes. But what you see as survival mode is our normal.
So when I saw this quote I thought, I am the storm. I dictate how my family will live. I can control what I can and everything else doesn’t matter. So be storm in life. That doesn’t mean be destructive without regard for others. Take control of your life and live.